Sunday, May 24, 2009

A tiny bit of T.O.in Chanhassen



We are trying to have a little garden in the back yard. Caroline and Helen are veterans of gardening. They just make it look so easy. I am learning a lot as I have not planted or done gardening in many years. This makes me think of all the gardening my Dad did when we were little and what a therapy and joy he had in this. It really wasn't about the yield for him as it was the joy of watching, tending and waiting.Mother would make pickles, tomato juice and we used the produce to enhance the meals. I remember every night the trip over to his land a couple of blocks from our home. I really couldn't understand it but he went every night as if it was his farm.I don't think I went more than a few times. Years later he did get the farm in Wisconsin. Memories. I wasn't interested in the farm either but do understand now the meaning and need for this in his life. Understanding though late does come.

3 comments:

myfourgems said...

good post...i remember digging up potatoes with grandpa on the farm, he would turn the soil and we'd dart in there so fast to dig out the potato that he thought he was going to cut our fingers off with the shovel. Nice that uncle tom is keeping the farm dream alive.

on a side note...why in the world do you even have those overalls in your closet??? :)

Melanie said...

Amen and amen about the overalls from Michele's comment.

It is so nice to have understanding come as we age. I am constantly drawn to farming and gardening even though I have no idea how to do it and I know it is because of Grandpa and his love of the farm and the fun memories I have there.

pawolfe said...

If I didn't have such bad itching and poison something I could wear regular clothes more comfortably but even so I do like those "bibs"